Imagine this: It’s nearly the end of the quarter, and soon your senior leadership team (or your client, if you work at an agency) is going to expect your “Quarterly Marketing Results” report in their email inbox. You have metrics on your online conversions, but you are missing a crucial piece of the puzzle: phone calls. You start to panic.
Since your business or client values phone calls, you know they are going to want to know how your marketing campaigns have been driving qualified inbound calls. You think, “How have I not found an easy way to track calls and attribute them back to my marketing campaigns? It has to be possible, right?”
The answer is yes, and it is much easier than you think: you just need a call tracking solution.
Many marketers now use call tracking solutions to measure and optimize the performance of their digital advertising, website, and offline marketing. Call tracking — also known as call analytics, call attribution, and call intelligence — enables businesses and agencies to generate better converting calls, decrease their cost per lead, personalize customer experiences, and drive growth.
If you are interested in evaluating a call tracking solution and want to be sure to pick the right one, here are some tips and questions to help.
4 questions to consider when choosing a call tracking solution:
1. What data on calls do you want to capture?
First do an inventory of all your marketing activities and where you are sending calls to determine what data you require to measure and improve performance. Also speak with your sales team or the staff at the locations where you send calls to determine what data they require. Then ask call tracking providers questions to ensure they meet your needs. Sample questions include:
- Does the call tracking solution support toll-free, local, and international phone numbers?
- Does the call tracking solution provide keyword-level and website clickpath attribution?
- Can the call tracking solution track calls from multiple phone numbers on a single web page (such as a Find a Location webpage)?
- How big a pool of phone numbers does the call tracking solution require to give you the data you need?
- Does the call tracking solution integrate with all the marketing and sales tools and digital ad platforms your business uses?
2. What is the best caller experience for your business?
List everywhere that you send calls (e.g., call centers, offices, stores, dealerships, remote agents) and who is answering them. Find out if they want to speak to every caller or would like leads qualified first (and if so, what criteria determines a good lead). Determine what the best call experience is for callers and for your business. Then ask call tracking providers questions to ensure they meet your needs. Questions to consider:
- Does the call tracking solution enable marketers to build their own IVRs?
- Can the IVR ask complex questions or only provide “Press 1 for Sales” commands?
- Can the call tracking solution route callers exactly the way your business requires?
- Can the call tracking solution ring a group of agents’ phones at once or in a specific order?
- If no one answers a call, can the call tracking solution route it to another destination?
- Can the call tracking solution provide the person answering the call with information on the caller and why they are calling?
3. What do you need to know about what happens on calls?
Determine what data you need to capture around what happens on calls (e.g., was the call answered, how long did it last, what was said, did the call convert). Investigate the follow capabilities:
- Can the call tracking solution record and transcribe conversations?
- How accurate are the transcriptions?
- Does the call tracking solution enable you to analyze conversations based on factors important to your marketing, such as what words the caller or agent said?
- Does the call tracking solution provide AI and machine-learning technology that can do the analytics for you?
4. What support does the call tracking provider really provide?
Ensure the call tracking provider has the customer support you need to get you up and running quickly and ensure your continued success. Be sure to cover the following:
- Do they offer free customer support by phone?
- What resources do they have to help you get call tracking configured to your exact specifications?
- What resources do they offer to help you ensure you are getting maximum return on your investment?
“We’ve had a fantastic team with our managed services from DialogTech. They are extremely knowledgeable and prompt to reply to our questions and assist us.”
– National American University
Choosing a new marketing tool is never easy. It can be overwhelming to evaluate the options, time consuming to ensure the solution will meet your goals, and stressful to gain buy-in from your senior leadership or clients. If you take the time to ask yourself these questions and document your strategy you will be one step ahead of the game.
I hope you found this helpful as you consider either implementing a call tracking solution or re-evaluating your current call tracking provider. To learn more about how other marketers are using call tracking to drive growth, download The Marketer’s Big Book of Call Tracking Success Stories.
Discover how marketers from 25 industries use call tracking to generate better converting calls, personalize caller experiences, and drive growth.Get The Ebook →
Discover how marketers from 25 industries use call tracking to generate better converting calls, personalize caller experiences, and drive growth.Get The Ebook