By Derek Andersen
The majority of home services shoppers start their journey by finding and comparing providers online, usually through searches. When they’ve completed their research, they often convert by calling.
To acquire more customers, home services marketers are optimizing SEO and digital ads to drive more high-quality calls. And they’re delivering more personalized experiences when consumers call to increase conversions.
1. Consumers researching moving, pest control, locksmith services, and lawn care are the most likely to use search engines. In the majority of home services verticals, over 55% of consumers run a search before scheduling an appointment (source: LSA).
2. Mobile searches are growing year-over-year in many home services verticals. Among the fastest growing search terms are “HVAC repair,” “landscaping near me,” “plumbers near me,” and “roofing companies” (source: Google).
3. Most home services consumers don’t have a company in mind when they run a search. This presents an opportunity for home services marketers to convert these undecided searchers (source: LSA).
4. Costs per click on Google Ads for certain home services keywords can exceed $40. In this competitive landscape, home services marketers must invest significant budget in search ads to acquire new customers (sources: WordStream, ACCA, HubSpot).
5. Costs per lead for home services often exceed $100. With home services ad spend on the rise, marketers are paying more for each lead (sources: WordStream, ACCA, HubSpot).
6. Consumers searching for plumbing, appliance repair, and fencing services are most likely to call after making a search. Since many home services purchases are urgent or considered, consumers often prefer to speak to a live agent, rather than fill out an online form (source: LSA).
7. 40% of home services consumers who call from search make a purchase. Other popular next actions include scheduling an appointment, checking hours, and inquiring about pricing (source: Google).
8. Roofing, home remodeling, and deck and patio consumers spend the most when they call from search to make a purchase. On average, home services consumers spend anywhere from $84 to $4,589 when they convert on a call placed after search (source: LSA).
9. Calls will influence $1 trillion in US consumer spending this year. In our mobile-first world, calls are often the most convenient way for customers to convert (Source: BIA/Kelsey).
10. Phone calls convert to 10-15x more revenue than web leads. Calls are the most valuable conversions home services marketers can drive. By tracking the calls driven by your home services ads, you can measure your full ROI and optimize accordingly (Source: BIA/Kelsey).
11. Callers convert 30% faster than web leads. Calls provide a more immediate return on your home services marketing investment (Source: Forrester).
12. Caller retention rate is 28% higher than web lead retention rate. Driving calls from home services marketing campaigns is also more profitable in the long-term-—callers are more loyal than web leads (Source: Forrester).
13. 18% of home services calls go unanswered on weekdays, while 41% go unanswered on weekends. Home services providers are frustrating consumers and leaving revenue on the table with each of these unanswered calls (source: DialogTech).
14. 80% of customers say the experience a company provides is as important as its products and services. Expectations for the consumer journey have never been higher—to acquire new customers, home services marketers need to meet them. This includes calls (source: Salesforce).
15. 65% of consumers have cut ties with a brand over a single poor customer service experience. If you fail to provide frictionless caller experiences, it will cost you customers (source: Digiday).
16. 32% of consumers say phone calls are the most frustrating customer service channel. Simply fielding inbound phone calls isn’t enough for home services marketers—it’s important to have data on each caller so you can quickly and efficiently address their needs (source: Aspect).
To learn more home services best practices, download our eBook: The Home Services Marketer’s Guide to Driving Consumer Calls from Search.
To learn more home services best practices, download our eBook: The Home Services Marketer’s Guide to Driving Consumer Calls from Search.Download My eBook →
Get the latest straight to your inbox.