By Derek Andersen
The majority of vehicle shoppers start their journey by finding and comparing dealerships online, usually through searches. When they’ve completed their research, they often convert by calling. To acquire more customers, automotive marketers are optimizing SEO and digital ads to drive more high-quality calls and personalizing the caller experience to increase call conversions.
1. 95% of vehicle buyers use digital as a source of information. Since auto purchases are highly considered, the vast majority of vehicle shoppers use online resources to find answers to their questions (source: Google).
2. 2x as many automotive consumers start their research online versus at a dealer. Today’s automotive consumers are informed and knowledgeable since they self-educate online before they ever make contact with a dealer (source: Google).
3. 76% of new and used vehicle shoppers run a search before buying. Automotive consumers overwhelmingly turn to search engines to find dealerships and get answers to their questions (source: LSA).
4. The US is expected to reach $12.73 billion in automotive digital ad spend in 2019. This is a 13% projected increase in US automotive digital ad spend from 2018 (source: eMarketer).
5. Auto marketers spent $6 billion on search ads in the US in 2018. This made up 44% of total 2018 auto digital ad spend (source: eMarketer).
6. The average cost for an automotive lead is $205. This figure is on an upward trend, as auto industry ad spend continues to rise (source: Lion Tree Group).
7. 61% of new and used vehicle shoppers contact the dealership by calling after a search. Due to the complex nature of automotive purchases, consumers typically prefer to speak to a live agent to get their questions answered once they’ve completed their online research (source: LSA).
8. 66% of the automotive calls generated by search engines come from paid search. The other 34% are driven by organic search (source: DialogTech).
9. 60% of consumers searching for vehicles on mobile would call the dealership from a call extension. Call extensions offer a frictionless link from the online to the call channel, and they’re proven to increase both ad performance and click-through rate (source: Google).
10. 57% of consumers call about vehicles from a search ad call extension to schedule an appointment. Similar percentages of consumers call about inventory, pricing, and/or business hours (source: Google).
11. 31.6% of total calls to dealerships resulted in an appointment. Consumers who call from paid search call extensions have a higher intent to set up an appointment than general callers who didn’t use an extension (source: DialogTech).
12. Calls will influence $1 trillion in US consumer spending this year. In our mobile-first world, calls are often the most convenient way for customers to convert (source: BIA/Kelsey).
13. Phone calls convert to 10-15x more revenue than web leads. Calls are the most valuable conversions automotive marketers can drive. By tracking the calls driven by your automotive ads, you can measure your full ROI and optimize accordingly (Source: BIA/Kelsey).
14. Callers convert 30% faster than web leads. Calls provide a more immediate return on your automotive marketing investment (source: Forrester).
15. Caller retention rate is 28% higher than web lead retention rate. Driving calls from automotive marketing campaigns is also more profitable in the long-term — callers are more loyal than web leads (source: Forrester).
16. Up to 72% of dealership agents don’t ask the caller for an appointment. By leveraging call analytics, sales managers can detect issues like these and provide coaching — in this case, pushing agents to ask for appointments (source: Dealix).
17. 35% did not suggest an alternative if the caller’s vehicle of choice was already sold. This is another systematic issue that call analytics can identify (source: Dealer Marketing Magazine).
18. Up to 25% of mishandled calls can be converted to sales by calling the lead back. With call analytics, sales managers can set up email alerts for mishandled calls so they can quickly call back to correct the issue (source: Dealer Marketing Magazine).
To learn more automotive marketing best practices, download our eBook — 4 Automotive Marketing Strategies for Consumer Calls.
To learn more automotive marketing best practices, download our eBook — 4 Automotive Marketing Strategies for Consumer Calls.Download My eBook →
Get the latest straight to your inbox.