The DialogTech platform now has an upgraded solution for tracking and optimizing calls from Google call extensions.
Previously, you could use DialogTech to capture the Google Click ID (GCLID) for calls from mobile call extensions (for advertisers that opted in), enabling the DialogTech platform to accurately connect who the caller is to the Google Ads keyword that drove the call. The solution could then use AI to analyze the conversation and caller experience to determine if the call was answered, if it is from a sales lead, the product/service they are calling about, the value of that lead to the business, if the call resulted in a conversion, and more. This keyword-level data on the value of each call is activated in tools like Google Ads, Search Ads 360, Adobe Advertising Cloud, and Salesforce to help marketers drive smarter optimizations, increase conversions, and improve ROAS.
Now, for Google advertisers that opt in, the upgraded solution for call extension calls captures the GCLID for the caller directly from Google Ads in real time, so you can get the most accurate keyword-level data on the volume and value of call extension calls even faster in your DialogTech reports and in the tools you use to manage and optimize Google Search spend.
Sample DialogTech report on Google call extension calls — not actual customer data
If you are new to call extensions or use them now and want to increase your conversion value and ROAS, this blog can help. Read on to learn about the benefits of using call extensions, the challenges marketers have with call extensions, and the data-driven strategies you can implement to improve results.
The Benefits of Google Call Extensions to Marketers
Google call extensions enable Google to include a phone number as a call to action in your search ads, giving consumers the ability to call directly from the SERP without visiting your website. Google has said that on average, over 80 million calls are driven directly from Google Search ads every month, with most of those calls coming from call extensions (source: Google internal data, Global, 2019).
For businesses where consumers often call as part of the customer or patient journey, call extensions can be a powerful option to drive more calls from consumers who are ready to engage with your business right away. Data from the DialogTech platform shows that for some industries, call extensions drive a significant percentage of appointment and sales calls from Google Ads.
The Challenge Marketers Face With Google Call Extensions
While Google call extensions can be an effective option for increasing your conversions, data shows that most call extension calls aren’t sales leads. The DialogTech platform has AI-powered call tracking and analytics technology that attributes and analyzes millions of calls to businesses from Google Ads every week — from both call extensions and website visits. When we compare results over the last 3 months from call extension calls versus callers that clicked on a link in a Google Search ad and called from the website, most calls are coming from website visitors:
- Percent of Google Ads calls that are from call extensions: 39%
- Percent of Google Ads calls that are from website visitors: 61%
This makes sense, as call extensions aren’t displayed in most ads — plus many searchers need certain information about a business before calling and want to visit the website first to look for it. But for some industries, less than 20% of the calls they generate from Google call extensions are sales leads — which means 80% or more are not. On average across all industries, callers from Google Ads that visited the website are 40% more likely to be sales or appointment leads than call extension callers.
So that’s the challenge with Google call extensions. They can drive good results for many businesses, but you have to monitor your results down to the keyword and manage your optimizations closely. Otherwise, you risk wasting your budget diving high volumes of calls that aren’t sales or appointment leads and don’t contribute to customer acquisition and revenue.
Sample DialogTech call data report — not actual customer data
Data-Driven Strategies to Drive More Valuable Conversions From Google Call Extensions
Many calls from Google call extensions are support or non-sales calls, and most marketers don’t want to spend their search ad budget to drive non-sales calls. They want to drive more high-value conversions and reduce their cost per lead, increasing ROAS and generating more customers without increasing budget. Here are the steps marketers can take to do it.
Step 1: Measure the Volume, Intent, and Value of Calls From Google Ads
You can’t optimize what you don’t measure. For Google Ads, that means more than just measuring the volume of calls from call extensions and website visitors at the keyword level. You need accurate intelligence on the value of each call so you can measure what’s truly generating sales leads, appointments, and customers — not support and other non-sales calls.
The DialogTech platform provides the accurate call data you need for Google Ads. Here’s how it works:
- Accurate Keyword-Level Call Attribution: First, when a consumer calls your business from a call extension, DialogTech tags the call as coming from Google Ads in general and a call extension specifically, captures the GCLID directly from Google Ads (as well as other identifiers), and correctly attributes the keyword. If instead of calling from the call extension, a consumer clicks on a link in your Google Search ad and calls from your website, the DialogTech platform would also capture the caller’s activity on your site, including the page they called from.
- AI-Driven Conversation Analytics: Next, DialogTech’s AI analyzes the phone conversation and call experience at scale to measure if the call was answered, if the caller was a sales lead, their product/service interest, the quality of the lead (regardless of whether they converted on the call or not), if the call resulted in a conversion (quote, appointment, purchase, etc.), and more.
- Activation in Paid Search Tools: Lastly, DialogTech activates data on the volume and value of every call at the keyword level in the tools you use to manage paid search, including Google Ads, Search Ads 360, Adobe Advertising Cloud, and Salesforce.
Now that you have accurate data on the volume, intent, and value of calls from Google Ads (and any other marketing sources you track with the DialogTech platform) you can accurately measure the true impact of your marketing on business results. Marketers under pressure to prove their value to execs, franchisees, or clients (if you are at an agency) can now get credit for the leads, appointments, and customers driven from calls from Google Ads (both call extensions and website visors) and any other marketing sources you track with DialogTech.
Step 2: Benchmark and Compare Results From Call Extension Calls to Other Sources
Next, use your DialogTech call data to quantify the value, cost, and ROAS of calls from call extension at the keyword level. This includes metrics such as:
- % of calls that are sales leads
- % of sales calls that convert on the call
- Average revenue per call
- Average cost per converted call
This data serves as the benchmarks to help you determine the right bid amounts and target ROAS for call extension calls. You should then compare the volume and value of call extension calls to other sources to measure what drives the most valuable conversions and use that data to devise your overall marketing strategy and budget allocation. For example, you can compare:
- Calls from Google call extensions vs. website visitors
- Calls from Google Ads vs. Microsoft Advertising
- Calls from Google Ads visitors vs. Google SEO visitors
- Calls from Google Ads vs. Google My Business
- Calls from Google Ads vs. Facebook and display ads
You should also look at how results from calls compare to webform fills for each source. Google says that on average, calls convert at a rate three times higher than web clicks (source: Google internal data, 2016). Your results may differ, but comparing your DialogTech data for call conversions to your data for online conversions will help you determine which conversion should be the focus of your marketing.
Step 3: Optimize Your Bid Strategy to Drive More Valuable Conversions
Now that you have your initial benchmarks, it’s time to start optimizing to improve results and ROAS from Google Ads. With data on the value of calls at the keyword level in DialogTech reports and activating that data in Google Ads or your bid management solution, you can:
- Have Call Extensions Show Up More Often For the Right Keywords: For your call extension calls, you can groom high-performing and low-performing keywords into separate ad groups, then use bid modifiers to have call extensions show up more often for the high-performing ones while excluding them from the low-performing ones.
- Bid Management Tools: If you use a bid management tool like Search Ads 360, you can now use data on the value of calls to fuel smarter optimizations. Those tools can automatically allocate the right bid amounts to help you hit your goals, such as increasing conversions at scale or improving ROAS.
- Improve Results From Google Ads Smart Bidding: By passing keyword-level call data from the DialogTech platform into Google Ads, Google’s algorithm can take into account each call’s intent, outcome, and value and optimize for what drives the best results. For example, if you are using Google’s “Target ROAS” strategy, Google can include phone lead value and their conversion outcomes in its algorithms as a factor in determining the true ROAS of your keywords. It can then make better decisions to drive more valuable conversions (such as calls for higher-priced offerings or leads that convert on the first call) for your target ad spend.
Taking this data-driven approach to calls from Google Ads will help you not just optimize on what works, but eliminate spend on what doesn’t. You should see an initial increase in performance fairly quickly, and then continued optimizations using accurate call data will enable you to drive incremental improvements each month.
Sample of DialogTech call data in Google Ads — not actual customer data
Step 4: Segment Callers Into the Best Audiences Based on Their Conversations
Audience-based campaigns often drive the best results. When consumers call your business from call extensions, the DialogTech platform can help you segment callers into the right audiences for digital advertising based on the intent, lead value, and conversion outcome unlocked from the conversation. For example:
- Retargeting: For callers that are good leads but didn’t convert on the call, retarget them with search, social, and display ads for the product/service they called about. Consider providing a special offer to incentivize these good leads to choose you over your competitors.
- Upsells, Cross-Sells, and Lookalikes: For phone leads that already converted to customers, put them into upsell or cross-sell ad campaigns if you have other products or services to sell them. You might also add them to lookalike campaigns to extend your reach and generate engagement from new prospects resembling your best phone leads.
- Exclusions: For callers whose conversations show they aren’t sales leads, add them to your exclusion lists so you don’t serve them ads. Why waste ad budget retargeting someone who called for customer support or some other non-sales reason? You might also exclude callers who converted on the call if you have nothing else relevant to sell to them.
Step 5: Detect and Correct Call Handling Issues Impacting Conversion Rates
Driving the right calls from Google Ads is only the first step — your business still has to answer and convert the call. But are they?
Marketers can use DialogTech reports to see what percent of calls to each location or call center agent abandon their call, go to voicemail, are sales leads, convert on the call, and more. Use this data to determine if low conversion rates at locations are the result of your marketing or the call experience, then drill into the DialogTech data to detect and diagnose issues with unanswered or unconverted calls and take the right corrective steps (eliminate ad spend when a location is closed, increase staffing at locations during peak ad times, etc.) to improve performance.
Sample DialogTech call handling scorecard report — not actual customer data
Resources to Help You Drive Better Results From Google Call Extensions
Google call extensions offer marketers a big opportunity to drive more conversions and customers, but you should manage your spend and keyword strategy closely to get the best results. By getting accurate data on both the quantity and quality of call extension calls at the keyword level from DialogTech, you have the insights you need to hit your goals and generate the best return.
If you are a current DialogTech user and want to turn on DialogTech’s solution for call extensions, you can learn how in this support article or contact your account manager for help. If you want to learn more strategies for calls from call extensions, you can download our Success With Google Call Extensions toolkit.